On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 12:34 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 November 2011 22:25, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 6:30 PM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> But if the team already agrees that the changes need to be made, why
>>> not do so and re-roll?
>>
>> I'd just leave that up to the release manager to decide.
>>
>> There's no such thing as a perfect release (all non-trivial software
>> has errors), so unless the fix is already available and the RM willing
>> to do the extra effort I wouldn't stress too much about getting such
>> non-critical changes in until the next release.
>
> I would question whether these N&L errors are non-critical.
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what-must-every-release-contain
>
> says
>
> "Every ASF release *must* comply with ASF licensing policy. This
> requirement is of utmost importance and an audit should be performed
> before any full release is created. In particular, every artifact
> distributed must contain appropriate LICENSE and NOTICE files."
>
> I read this as meaning that the N&L files are (one of) the most
> important part(s) of a release.

I agree they're important and we need to teach poddlings how to do
them correctly and they must not be missing things that are included
in the release, but i still say that having some unnecessary content
in the LICENSE or NOTICE is not necessarily a blocker. No one is going
to sue the ASF if a release includes a license or notice that it
actually doesn't need, so its down to the poddling to decide if they
want to respin to remove it.

   ...ant