My personal threshold for evaluating the
overall quality of a mentor's work is whether
or not I can exceed their level of competence
and effort towards a podling within 5 hours
of reviewing the podling's history.  Most of
the time I can.  Certainly can in the Kato and
Tashi cases.

You are right tho that mentoring is a sustained
commitment to a podling over a long period
of time.   I think we are headed in the right
direction by actively reviewing the reports
of longstanding podlings to see whether their
mentors are still able to demonstrate oversight.