On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM, ant elder <antel...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Reto Bachmann-Gmür
> <m...@farewellutopia.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 9:55 AM, ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> convenience
> readme

> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/clerezza/trunk/parent/README.txt

> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/clerezza/trunk/parent/clerezza-jar-resource-bundle/

> >> Its not clear if that will change the binary distribution so just a
> >> quick note to remind about that as it also needs to note all the
> >> licenses it uses.
> >> (i did check on you dev list and it doesn't look like the respin has
> >> happen yet so hopefully that isn't an inconvenience)
> >>

> > Yes I adapted the NOTICE of the launcher (i.e. the one in the binary
> distro)
> > as follows:
> >

> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/clerezza/trunk/parent/platform.launcher.tdb/NOTICE?view=markup
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Reto

Thanks Ant, for looking at this this in such detail. After 4 candidates had
to be dismissed for license reasons it would be good to have this things
fixed for the next release candidate.

> I don't think the NOTICE file is the correct place for these, and i
> don't think thats enough to document the licenses that apply.

What would the right place be then?

> As one example, the binary release clerezza-tdb-distribution.zip
> contains a big jar platform.launcher.tdb-0.5-incubating.jar which
> embeds other jars, for example it contains
> servlet-api-3.0.20100224.jar, which is EPL licensed so that needs to
> be mentioned in clerezza-tdb-distribution.zip.

Is there a way to systematically find out the license of such transitive
maven dependencies? The jar you mention contains no license or notice file,
it contains a maven pom file without licensing information. It seems to be
part of the pre-eclipse jetty release, on the mortbay website I read that
jetty is apache licensed. Other jetty files are in org/eclipse and thus
probably EPL.

> There are many jars within jars using various licenses included in
> clerezza-tdb-distribution.zip which also need to be mentioned. Ask
> your mentors for help if the requirements aren't clear, or at least
> ask them to vote here if they disagree.

I added our mentors to the cc, hoping they step into the conversation and
that I eventually know what step I need to do for a legally acceptable
release.

Cheers,
Reto