Hi,

The URL is http://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html

> It's fine to just dive in to improve phrasing, add examples etc.
> Here's a good place to ask questions. This thread is also a good place
> to discuss content and dispute process details.

The guide currently gives the impression that the initial name of a
podling is just a "working name" and that a more "suitable name"
should to be searched for and selected before graduation. Could we
rather rephrase it as a guide on what to take in to account when
coming up with a name in the first place?

Also, I'm a bit hesitant about the MUST in [1] that a "suitable name
search must be completed before a podling can graduate". Was there a
policy vote on this that I missed? The recent poll on this [2] didn't
seem to reach any clear consensus.

A project community should obviously be reasonably certain that their
name doesn't infringe on an external trademark. The more careful they
are with this (i.e. the more thorough name search they perform) the
safer they are from trouble later on, but generally I'd leave it up to
the podlings themselves to decide how much effort they really want to
invest into this.

Thus, instead of setting strict rules and requirements, I think the
guide should just document the best current practice and suggest why
following it is a good idea.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH
[2] http://markmail.org/message/qix5ephxhfkzsfjd

BR,