Hey Robert,

Thanks for this; it was obviously a lot of work! I like the word
picks, flow and style of this guide a lot. There's a lot to read here
and some new stuff to learn for me -- I confess I've been ignoring as
much about trademarks as I can until a time comes up when I actually
have a need to dig into it more. So I can't really help write, but I
can ask questions :)

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The new documentation describing in more detail one way to check the
>> suitability of the proposed name is just about ready for public review
>
> The URL is http://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html
>
>> It's fine to just dive in to improve phrasing, add examples etc.

    Once the information is collected and collated,
    then ask the trademark team to help interpret and
    analyse these results on the private lists, copying
    in the PPMC.
    Finally discuss the results of your investigation on
    the private PPMC list.

We could probably do with some guidance of *how* to do this
discussion. I.e. I _assume_ the CC is to trademarks@ but it's not
stated. Similarly it's not quite clear what things need to be
discussed. The discussion could be "well a lot of stuff uses this name
too but whatever it's probably ok" -- "+1", or it could be "looks
risky we may need to evaluate whether we are infringing" (and then
what happens?).

>> Here's a good place to ask questions. This thread is also a good place
>> to discuss content and dispute process details.

* I personally think the way you wrote down that this is one possible
approach is quite clear. I'll leave it to others to fix what they
don't like about it ;-)

I agree it's important that we know it's one possible way to care of
this stuff. For example with Apache OpenOffice or Apache SpamAssassin
or Apache Jena or other long-existing projects that come to the
incubator the process is different since they typically did it years
ago, are known to be the number one hit for that phrase, etc etc.

* It's not clear to me what role the trademarks folks have in this
process; I thought trademarks@ was primarily concerned with defending
our marks, and providing policy to PMCs, i.e. not with doing the
picking of the marks we use? Is it an advisory role because these
folks happen to have experience, or is the advice intended to be, err,
'binding'?

* If you are a new project and you have to pick a name, this is a
useful guide. If you are a new project and you picked a name, but you
didn't do your due diligence, you need to be nudged rather insistingly
into doing your due diligence. And that then has a painful dynamic to
it, because a group of people picked and decided and voted on a name
and then they changed it.

To fix this, we could put the process for the picking of the suitable
name as part of the proposal process, i.e. you can choose to do it
before you even send your proposal to general@. WDYT?

> Thus, instead of setting strict rules and requirements, I think the
> guide should just document the best current practice and suggest why
> following it is a good idea.

Hmm, so there's an interesting balance here, and it's probably overdue
for some shifting. I think we do need to make clearer the MUSTs around
trademarks to new projects, basically passing on the PMC
responsibilities we've gotten from the board via trademarks@. Perhaps
we need another bit of documentation in the policy that points out the
MUSTs, and then that bit links to this guide.

cheers,

Leo