On 2/3/2012 7:38 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> All nominees have said they back the radical reform plan. That plan as
> it currently stands reads, to me, as "nuke the IPMC and pass all
> responsibility for ensuring projects are adequately mentored to
> ComDev."

Ross, I'm not a candidate.  But I certainly don't believe that.

Pass all responsibility for mentoring to the incubating projects and
the members, and responsibility for ensuring they are mentored to the
board.  That means mentors must appeal to members and committers for
mentorship and members will need to step up if they want to adopt new
projects into the ASF.  And should the board see they are not adequately
mentored, the board has a simple remedy; terminate the effort.

I really think that mentorship will no longer be a great issue, if it
is upon the incubating projects to yell when they receive no guidance
or oversight.  And it will no longer be necessary to join the IPMC to
become a mentor.

I believe ComDev should own the documentation of operating a healthy
PMC, and the VP, Incubation should maintain a very trivial list pointing
into that documentation and demanding measurable results against that
documentation.  Incubator is a many-too-layered onion today, and it
seems people keep trying to wrap Chris's proposal in more layers of
Onion, because it is insufficiently complex to result in 100 people
arguing with one another for days on end.