On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 5:48 AM, Herbert Duerr <h...@apache.org> wrote:

> Indeed, thanks. I added the Incubation Disclaimer to the README file.

Great, thanks!

> When even OpenOffice gets abbreviated for the download archives, must they
> all really include the full word "incubation" or only the source archive?
>
> E.g. the install set for version 3.4.0 of the US-English Intel/AMD 64bit
> Linux port already has the quite long name
>   OOo_3.4.0_Linux_x86-64-install-arc_en-US.tar.gz
> Should the proper download name be
>   Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Linux_x86-64-install-arc_en-US.tar.gz
> or would
>   AOOi_3.4.0_Linux_x86-64-install-arc_en-US.tar.gz
> suffice?

Both of those are unwieldy!

Long-standing Incubator policy is that "incubating" must be in the name:

  http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

  Should the Incubator PMC, in accordance with these guidelines vote to
  approve the request, the Podling MAY perform the release under the following
  constraints:

    * the release archive MUST contain the word "incubating" in the filename;
      and
    * the release archive MUST contain an Incubation disclaimer (as described
      in the previous section), clearly visible in the main documentation or
      README file.

Since shortening doesn't materially change ease of typability or clickability,
I don't see a reason to start down the difficult path of changing that policy
or obtaining a variance.

Marvin Humphrey