On Mar 26, 2012, at 4:41 PM, Karl Wright wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:24 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 26 March 2012 02:38, Shinichiro Abe <shinichiro.ab...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello Incubator IPMC,
>>>
>>> Please vote on whether or not to release ManifoldCF 0.5-incubating, RC0.
>>> This RC has passed our podling vote and awaits your inspection.
>>> You can find the artifact at
>>> http://people.apache.org/~shinichiro/apache-manifoldcf-0.5-incubating-RC0/,
>>> or
>>> in svn at
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/lcf/tags/release-0.5-incubating-RC0/.
>>
>> The NOTICE file says:
>> Apache ManifoldCF
>> Copyright 2010-2011 The Apache Software Foundation
>>
>> The LICENSE file includes references to lots of jars that are dual
>> licensed under CDDL v1.0 and GPL v2.
>> However, there is no indication which license has been chosen by the project.
>>
>> I think this is a blocker.

A project does not choose a license.  The license is provided by the copyright
owner.  We do not change that license, nor do we reduce the number of the
available licenses to choose from, for downstream recipients.  Therefore,
it doesn't make any sense to indicate which one is "chosen".

In any case, the indicated artifacts are only included in binary packages.
We don't release binaries, so none of these licenses belong in our source
product's LICENSE file.  We need to be clear that the source code package
does not include these dependencies.  They only exist in binary distributions.

If the project constructs binary distributions via a shared process, then
the LICENSE/NOTICE files for those distribution packages need to be constructed
as well --- either by appending a separate file (that contains just the
licenses/notices that are added for the binary package) or by maintaining a
separate LICENSE/NOTICE set for the binary package.

....Roy