On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org> wrote:
> My point is that if push came to shove, legally, I think the -bin objects
> would be considered a distribution.

I disagree.  The ASF only releases source.

If I understand correctly, changing that position undermines the
indemnification protections that have been painstakingly set up by Roy and
others.

Policy is that binaries are not endorsed by the ASF.  If you wish to
change that policy and secure the backing of the ASF for binaries (which I
will oppose), this doesn't seem like the right venue to make such a
proposal.

If the policy of source-only releases is confusing to some of our Java
developers, perhaps we should revisit how we vet incubating releases of Java
projects to emphasize this policy.

Marvin Humphrey