On Mar 27, 2012, at 2:15 AM, sebb wrote:
> On 26 March 2012 16:20, Roy T. Fielding <field...@gbiv.com> wrote:

>> A project does not choose a license.  The license is provided by the
>> copyright
>> owner.  We do not change that license, nor do we reduce the number of the
>> available licenses to choose from, for downstream recipients.  Therefore,
>> it doesn't make any sense to indicate which one is "chosen".
>>
>> In any case, the indicated artifacts are only included in binary packages.
>> We don't release binaries, so none of these licenses belong in our source
>> product's LICENSE file.  We need to be clear that the source code package
>> does not include these dependencies.  They only exist in binary
>> distributions.
>
> That's not the case with this product at present; all the jars are
> actually in SVN and they are also in the source and binary archives.

Do I really need to explain what "source code" means?

  http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

  "All releases are in the form of the source materials needed to make changes
to the software being released."

Apache releases open source and ONLY open source.  Our releases are absolutely
forbidden to contain anything other than the open source code that is in our
vcs-of-record, meaning code that is in the form most likely to be edited by
recipients for the sake of modifying the product, and in some specific cases
the generated (and open) source code of build scripts.

Binary distributions and binary/jar dependencies MUST be separate packages
that are not voted on by the PMC during the release vote, because they are
not part of our product and are not released by the ASF.  No PMC has been
granted the authority to publish binary releases on behalf of the ASF.
It would be contrary to the mission of the foundation.  They may distribute
binary build packages of existing source releases, but these are not ASF
releases -- they are just builds provided by the project for user convenience.
Likewise for jar files of dependencies -- they are NOT our product and they
MUST NOT be present in the source code package that is voted on for release.

If podlings get this wrong, fix them.  If TLPs get this wrong, fix them.
No project should ever leave incubator before this is drilled into their
collective skull: The ASF produces open source software!

If any ASF member is aware of an Apache release package that is not 100%
open source code, you are hereby instructed to DELETE it from our servers.
Nobody, not even me, has the right to place a compiled class in one of
our packages and call that a source release.

Is that clear?

....Roy