On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It sounds like I wasn't clear enough.
>
> The proposal is for the following release artifacts:
>
> (1) A source-only tar
> (2) A source+binary dependencies convenience tar
> (3) A binary tar
>
> This is instead of:
>
> (1) A source-only tar
> (2) A binary dependencies convenience tar
> (3) A binary tar
>
> Hope that helps...  The question is, will Roy (or anyone else) be
> unwilling to vote for the first option?

Can't speak for Roy of course, but *my* interpretation is that what
matters is having (1).

A readily buildable source release that contains all the source code
that comprises the project, that is the official release of the
project by the ASF, that is the open source apache-licensed thing that
is carefully inspected and tested by the (P)PMC, that is the thing
that is voted on, that you point to from your website as the source
release, and such and so forth.

Once you have (1), there's many different acceptable approaches for
(2),(3),(4), and so on. I personally feel ManifoldCF (like any other
project), perhaps with help from their mentors, can decide for
themselves what is the best approach. For example, I don't
particularly understand the purpose/value of either version of (2)
(wouldn't I just always want the binary version?), but that's fine :)

cheerio,

Leo