On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
> It's not the job of the incubator to create new rules, but rather to
> help podlings to graduation while following existing Apache
> guidelines.

We aren't making new rules. We are trying to help the Bigtop project
understand the rules about not releasing non-Apache software. There is
a huge difference between depending on an artifact from another
project and building and distributing non-Apache rpms in the project's
/dist directory.

> It's very clear from
> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html that what has been proposed
> is acceptable under existing Apache rules.

Can you find a single instance other than the disagreement between
Apache Lucene and Apache Commons where one project is distributing
another project's rpms? Are there any other non-Apache rpms in /dist?
Clearly the answer is a resounding NO. It would be a huge violation of
the trust the incubator is putting in me as a mentor if I didn't block
Bigtop's plan to do so.

-- Owen