On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Ralph Goers
<ralph.go...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> I'm just saying I find it difficult to participate with that style and that
> simply makes me wonder if that is making it harder to attract new
> committers.

I suspect it attracts some and drives away others.

I frikkin' hate JIRA notifications.  The emails suck, so newcomers are forced
to learn JIRA's interface before they can participate fully in the dev
conversation.  To me that seems like it raises a barrier to entry -- but then,
there are numerous projects around the ASF who are not hurting for
contributors and who use JIRA for *everything* -- starting with Hadoop and
Lucene.

If you don't want JIRA-centric development, it can be curtailed by sending
notifications to a dedicated "issues" list instead of the dev list.  However,
I would not necessarily recommend that to a new podling, as I can't tell where
my own biases end and I don't want to start a phpBB^H^H^H^H^HJIRA vs email
flame war.

-- Marvin Humphrey, who in moments of weakness fantasizes about the day when
Infra can no longer keep the massive ASF JIRA instance from toppling over and
all the Java projects whose participation in Infra is limited to complaining
when stuff goes offline come crying.