On May 25, 2012, at 8:37 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM, Steve Loughran
> <steve.lough...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 24 May 2012 06:15, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've met other groups of people who like a JIRA centric view
>>> of the world. I suspect that if they did a bunch of other good things
>>> called out below, you or others would find the JIRA business
>>> digestible. Also, on the other hand, I fear that the co-employed
>>> contributors are collaborating in the hallway, and the lack of the
>>> context in JIRA or on the list is contributing to the problem.
>>>

>> I'm not convinced that JIRA helps communities. It's great in companies -IDE
>> integration, you can bounce issues to others, it pings your phone so often
>> you can use it as a network liveness test. It also lets you persist
>> discussions in a way that can be searched. In a busy project, it helps you
>> keep track of your workload, and can assist in sprint planning if you fill
>> in the est/actual workload fields.
>
> I don't claim that JIRA helps, but I also don't accept the proposition
> that JIRA hurts.
>
> I think that we should focus on the community, not the tools. The
> JIRA-oriented projects I follow have JIRA set to send all new issues,
> and all new comments, to the dev list. So all community members, and,
> in particular, all PMC members with a duty to supervise, see all the
> traffic.

I have no problem with Jira, it is a great tool.  My problem - specific to the
way Flume does things - is that they also use the Review tool and you end up
with a copy of a message from the Review tool and another copy of the same
thing from Jira.  A LOT of those messages are pure noise.  The ones that do
contain content do a poor job of quoting whatever is being commented on.  So
the only way to really tell what is going on is to go into Jira and look at
every issue.

Ralph