IMO, we wouldn't want to force a single workflow into each community just
because it appears to lower the barrier of entry.  I fully understand how JIRA
and ReviewBoard can pollute a mail list; however, if that is how the community
wants to operate, why stop them?  Since everything gets forwarded to the dev
list, IMO JIRA and ReviewBoard are perfectly legitimate tools for managing
workflows within communities.   We can always suggest changes and
simplifications, or try out new processes and workflows, but forcing a
community to operate a specific way doesn't seem appropriate.

One thing I have seen a few podlings do is add a users mail list that offers a
lower barrier of entry and allows newcomers to gradually become more immersed
in the daily operations of the project.