On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Franklin, Matthew B.
<mfrank...@mitre.org> wrote:
> As not everyone has read or is privy to the private list discussions, what
> they see is that you have a standing -1 vote from a mentor who has expressed
> concerns on this list and the dev list as to whether or not the diversity
> requirement has been met.

Thanks, Matt, that is exactly what I perceived.  I had gone back and scanned
through the Flume dev list for the previous month before posting, too.  :(

> It looks (and looked to me initially) like an incubator project that is
> dominated by a single company was trying to push itself through the
> incubation process at whatever cost and before it was ready; something that
> most IPMC members would likely resist.

Everything I posted was written under the assumption that all contributors
were participating as individuals in good faith and without any undue company
influence.  I'm only human, though.  Without the context of that private
thread, Patrick Hunt's assurances that "Extensive discussion ensued and afaict
Ralph's concerns were addressed" made no sense -- Ralph had stated mere moments
before on this list that "if the basis we are to use is whether a single
company or entity is vital to a project then I don't believe Flume is quite
there."  And then there were the IMO unconvincing lawyerly statistical
arguments which had been advanced that the [now vacated] diversity requirement
had been met.  I had to keep struggling to understand what on earth could be
the explanation.

> If this type of misperception happened at the incubator, what does
> the foundation and flume community see?
>
> With the additional background I have read, it seems that the community is
> much healthier than it appears and is acting on a lot of communication and
> consensus that was driven on the private list.  IMO, it would have been
> better to ask Ralph if he was comfortable retracting his -1 prior to pushing
> the general@ VOTE and if he was not, then participate in the diversity
> discussion on general@ until some consensus has been reached.

+1

What a frustrating waste of time this has been.

Marvin Humphrey