I fear we are miscommunicating again.

Only the copyright owner is allowed to (re)move copyright notices
or permit others to (re)move them on the owner's behalf.
Jeff just needs to give the project permission -- one simple
email message to the list is enough -- and then anyone at Apache
can move them.  He doesn't need commit access if he doesn't want it.

If he doesn't want to give permission, then just leave them
as they are.  It is not a prerequisite on releasing the code.

Our *desire* for a company granting code to Apache to remove
their own copyright notices from every file is because

  1) it hinders open collaboration if volunteers think their
     new work is going to look like it is owned by company (C)

  2) if one contributor gets credit in a file, then *every*
     significant contributor should have the same credit,
     which is a problem for contributors that would rather
     not be the first point of contact during a lawsuit.

and so we request the notices be moved at the time of (or
shortly after) initial code donation because that is when
folks are happy to do so and actively communicating with
the ASF.  It is also for their own good, even if they don't
know it yet.

....Roy