On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Niall Pemberton
> <niall.pember...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 8:46 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> DirectMemory lacks only a release to be green across the launch control
>>> board.
>>
>> Looks like a release is imminent:
>>     markmail.org/message/a3yczwysqognrtg4
>
> The release is now out, so given Benson's overview from above I
> classified DirectMemory as ready to graduate.
>
> The DirectMemory report says the following on this topic:
>
> + There is only one important issue to address in the move towards graduation
> +
> +    - Understanding process/decision making guidelines (new committer process
> +      is undergoing testing, release process still yet to be worked out)
>
> I suppose the release process is now covered. I notice DirectMemory
> has already added a committer since incubation started, so there's
> already some experience on that as well. And with many Apache members
> as committers I think the project is in any case pretty well covered
> on the process side.
>
> So from my perspective it looks like DirectMemory is close to
> graduation. The only bit I'm a bit uncertain about is the "burstiness"
> of DirectMemory activity (with notable spikes in November, February
> and June), though that shouldn't be too troublesome as there's a
> steady level of base activity and it looks like the June burst is
> continuing well into this month.
>
> Does that (and my classification as ready to graduate) sound like an
> accurate assessment of DirectMemory status?

I suppose.  Though, it's not clear why we're answering that question
on general@ instead of letting the mentors run through the graduation
guide with the community?  This list is chatty though, so perhaps I
missed something?

FWIW, this shepherd thing is starting to feel like [duplicative]
middle-management.  I'd strongly encourage a more passive board-style
role (e.g. stepping in only when a problem exists).

The "burstiness", btw, is likely a result of this being a true
volunteer effort - AFAIK, no one's being paid to hack on it.

Thanks,
--tim