Marvin, thanks for commenting on the proposal! The initial committers have
been working on the design for several months, and will commit the design
once the project is approved, so we do not expect much friction during the
design phase. With that said, we certainly do want to engage others early
on, and our goal in incubating earlier is to encourage feedback and
contributions when it is still easy to change the APIs and extensibility
points. This is important because Drill (unlike, say, Google's Dremel) must
be really flexible in order to be relevant to a broad user base, allowing
multiple data sources, data formats and query languages. While many
projects enter incubation with a complete implementation, others don't, and
due to the nature of this project we think that in this case it is better
to start earlier.

Thanks,
Tomer