On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 2:38 PM, ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gosh i'm pretty sure we _don't_ allow things like (L)GPL dependencies
> in Incubator releases, we allow them in the source in SVN but i don't
> recall any releases like that.

As I replied to Marvin, Apache Roller had a hard dependency on
Hibernate for some of its incubator releases. Allowing that was okay'd
by the IPMC, VP Legal, and the Board :-)

My view is that these are not true ASF projects, so *some* wiggle is
allowable, especially with a plan in hand.

(now, I still would not advocate for any release that seriously broke
the rules; at a minimum, get LICENSE/NOTICE and source file headers in
there; work on clarifying your dependencies and their licenses; etc)

> Anyway thats beside the point, ok so lets have this be a precedent
> that sets Incubator policy - we now have some wiggle room while
> incubating to do a release that violates ASF release policy as long as
> it will be fixed soon in another release and definitely before
> graduating. A policy like that would help a lot with avoiding the
> numerous respins some poddling releases are made to do during voting
> on general@.

Exactly. We've seen a lot of back/forth which doesn't really help the
podling very much.

It's certainly a subjective judgement call. I don't know where to draw
the line, nor whether we must draw it. One of those "know it when you
see it" things. And we have the judgement of a large body of people
here on this list.

Cheers,
-g