On 10 October 2012 15:20, Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 10, 2012, at 2:47 AM, Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
>
> > Can you clarify? I understand that being able to speak to someone face to
> > face, and seeing their mannerisms and expressions, allows you to
> understand
> > them better. Some deep rooted human thing. But how does this impact
> > security or trust, in the context of key signing?
>
> I have friends who live far away.  I know them well.  I don't know their
> key fingerprint.
>
> If we send emails or if we text back and forth I  not clear that it is
> them.  If I have a video conference and the hold up the fingerprint I know
> it is them.

or someone with a very good disguise... and you don't rule out the man in
the mask behind the camera holding the gun pointed at them to get them to
hold up the masked man's fingerprint and not their own.

Though face-to-face doesn't remove the masked man threats... it does make
them harder (relying on threats to family/friends, etc)

;-)