Hi Dave,

On 2/26/13 4:18 PM, "Dave Fisher" <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> This is exactly the scenario I have in mind. Most of the times,
>> projects aim for being very successful and have their own healthy
>> community, but that is not always the outcome, and exiting Incubator
>> as an adopted project should be still be a possibility.
>
>I don't think we should exclude incubating projects from being
>incorporated into other projects. It may be preferred to the attic or
>github should a community fail to thrive. The incubator does not need to
>be TLP or fail.
>
>Perhaps the assimilation of an incubating podling to another PMC should
>not be called graduation. Maybe it should be handled piece by piece.
>
>(1) PPMC votes to approach a PMC with Mentor / IPMC approval like for a
>release.

Please name me a specific example scenario in which #1 has happened at the
ASF without pre stated intent to join that TLP.

I would be very surprised to see it happen b/c it would imply graduation
into an existing TLP wasn't premeditated.
That's the whole point of the "sponsoring PMC" portion of the Incubator
proposal, from the beginning, to declare
the intent to graduate into a existing TLP - otherwise that section
wouldn't be needed and the answer would always
be Incubator PMC. For the record, since the whole umbrella project thing,
most of the sponsoring (I can name perhaps 1-5)
incoming Incubator podlings are all Incubator PMC sponsored, for intent to
graduate to TLP.

On the graduating into existing TLP end, I don't think that makes sense -
apparently at least 2 other people don't either judging by +1s and words.
I would like to fix that. But, I don't think I've ever seen #1 where they
haven't already declared that their intent from the beginning.

>(2) Receiving PMC votes to accept IP - if not cleared then it accepts
>that responsibility.

If PMCs can accept the type of "podling sized" IP contribution then I
think that the Incubator is a pointless committee.

Cheers,
Chris