On Mar 1, 2013 8:33 PM, "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM, Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I concur with Chris, and want to strengthen/meta the point. The
Incubator
> > should not be used for projects which are intended to become part of an
> > existing TLP. The Incubator *creates* Apache-style communities. But...
Stop.

> > For these, we don't want a separate/new community. They are supposed to
be
> > *part of* the existing TLP. Thus, they have no business here. They
should
> > start within the target TLP.
>
> The incubation of WebWork into Struts is an example where there was an
> existing project outside the ASF with an existing bunch of developers
> that were not ASF committers. The point of going through the incubator
> was for the communities to merge. I guess at the time we could have
> just given comitt access to all WebWork devs - but most of us on the
> Struts project didn't know them. Is that what you're proposing should
> happen in this scenario?

Yup.

The Incubator doesn't have "staff". It really doesn't make sense to put a
community in their hands. Either a community self-builds, or it should
become part of an existing community.

For the WebWorks case, I would rather have seen them get a branch in
Struts. Over time, the features would get integrated from the branch to
trunk, and the committers would get expanded commit access.

I understand a project may arrive, thinking to become a TLP, but later
change their desired exit. But I think it would be best to call that an
exception. Instead, we let target communities directly teach the incomers
about operating within their (our ASF-style) community.

Cheers,
-g