On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org> wrote:
> Luciano, release announcements and security disclosures.
>
> Jordan, can you clarify what you understand by "be maintained"? Just to be
> clear, this is a one time operation, and as far as I know, comes with no
> maintenance costs whatsoever. So the "too much" part of "too much for
> little gain" doesn't appear to make sense.
>
> The announce@ list is typically subscribed to by press/analyst folks,
> security/sysadmin folks, and people interested in new releases but who have
> no interest in participating in the community.
>
> I believe a low-volume announcement channel like this could be beneficial
> for most projects. It certainly couldn't hurt to at least recommend/suggest
> this as a list when setting up the podling.

We already have a Apache wide announce list, which is used for release
announcements and probably can or is already used for the other things
you mentioned.

If I was the press/analyst folks or security/sysadmin folks, I'd
probably prefer to receive all these announcements over one list, then
having to figure out every announcement list for each apache project
in use in my infrastructure or that I'm interested in.

Having said that, in the case of podlings, we try to discourage even
the creation of a user list, and concentrate all the traffic in the
dev list to help build the community.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende