On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org> wrote:
> Yep. Obviously, I'm aware we have a foundation-wide announce list. :)
>
> It's not very helpful for people who are only interested in one or two
> projects, however.
>
> If I am using Hadoop, and only care about knowing about new Hadoop releases
> or security disclosures, I do not want to:
>
> a) subscribe to annou...@apache.org, and receive loads of
> completely irrelevant junk, or
> b) subscribe to u...@hadoop.apache.org, and receive even more
> irrelevant junk
>
> Having a high-signal, low-volume announcements list would be beneficial for
> most projects, IMO. And it seems like the sort of thing we should
> be encouraging right from the start.

I think Hadoop would be the best example in ASF, if you really using
Hadoop, you are probably using Haddop, HDFS, HBase, Oozie, and so
on... the whole Hadoop Ecosystem projects... and imagine if you have
to subscribe to all of those and to every new related incubator
project that comes every month ?

BTW, the traffic on this list is not really unmanageable and will
definitely not make you consider that this new list is flooding your
inbox.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende