Shreepadma Venugopalan schrieb:
> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Christian Grobmeier
> <grobme...@gmail.com>wrote:
>> Shreepadma Venugopalan schrieb:
>>> Per this document: http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/naming.html,
>> its
>>> required to start the name search process before we release any packages.
>>> It doesn't mention the name has to be cleared before a release.
>> OK, maybe it's no phrased well. But surely you understand why the name
>> must be cleared before any package is released?
>>

> Well, the way the rule reads today is the search process has to start
> before a release can happen. If the name has to be cleared before a
> release, it needs to be explicitly stated that way.

On the end of the document one can read:

"The V.P. Branding will finally approve your request.

Important: you must wait until your trademark has been approved. There
is no lazy consensus.

Once the name is approved, you can resolve the JIRA issue and work with
your new trademark. Incubator Podlings: please don't forget to update
your Incubator status page.
"

It says, you can only work with your trademark when VP has approved the
mark. For me this includes a release.

You maybe can guess that it can cause trouble when you work with a brand
with has not checked. Only recently we had to rename a subproject of
project because the brand was not checked accordingly.

We can either discuss about grammar or spelling issues, which this
document surely has (they are mostly my fault). Or we can simply try to
understand what problems it solves and act like that.

For me trademarks clearance are as important as a clean IP. If I were
you, I would keep this vote running, but make the outcome pending to the
response.

Now, as Jira is available to me again I can see there a couple of
(software) projects using the name Sentry already. Like for example:
getsentry.com

Given the high number of other which use the name (346 search results on
github) I have concerns we will run into a trademark conflict here and
insist you wait until trademarks@ has approved your mark.

+ cc Trademarks

Cheers
Christain