On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 5:08 AM, Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 1:08 AM, ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What i'd like to try is more similar to the pTLP approach previously
>> talked about. So take some existing podling, eg Stratos and/or
>> VXQuery, and give the PPMC binding votes. They have experienced and
>> active mentors so there will be oversight and nothing to worry about.
>> They already have experienced participants so know what they're doing
>> anyway. Anyone on the Incubator PMC can join in or watch what happens
>> and intervene at any point to have the experiment shutdown in the
>> unlikely event that they go wild.
>
> I think there are some issues with that approach.
>
> *   Being listed in the initial committer list of a proposal is not
>     sufficient justification for granting a binding vote.  Each individual
>     needs to demonstrate merit in the context of incubation and there needs to
>     be a VOTE.
> *   When it's already excruciatingly difficult to get IPMC members to
>     review releases, making such reviews optional just means hardly anybody
>     will get around to them -- even if they have the best of intentions.
> *   Under this model, a first incubating release could be approved with solely
>     PPMC votes.  We need more accountability than that.

No no, thats not what i'm suggesting, this isn't for some new podling
thats never done a release or anything its for a more experienced
podling thats been here for a while and already done a release but is
still here for some reason. So they mostly know what they're doing,
and they'll have active mentors. Please don't just rule this out as
too scary, its just an experiment and even when successful would be
unlikly ever become the mainstream approach for most podlings.

   ...ant