Marvin,

I applaud your efforts here. If we are going to take PPMC release votes as
binding then we should be sure that these are up to standards. Even if we
don't this is still very valuable.

One note I have is I don't think we should be teaching that some of release
steps are "optional" when they are required.

> Checklist (all items optional, mark only those personally verified):

A big issue in podlings (and TLPs) is making sure that enough PPMC members
actually do the following checks by understanding that they are required:

> [ ] Checksums and PGP signatures are valid.
> [ ] Each expanded source archive matches content in SCM beneath RC tag.
> [ ] Incubation disclaimers correct and filenames include "incubating".
> [ ] Top-level LICENSE and NOTICE correct for each distribution.
> [ ] ASF copyright correct in each top-level NOTICE.
> [ ] All source files have license headers where appropriate.

The above should be checked. The following item ought to be checked by most of
the PPMC as an indication of podling maturity.

> [ ] I follow this project's commits list.

The following are similar, but more tranisitional - for many podlings these are
not issues or are easily resolved. For some podlings though these are more
difficult and can require multiple releases to satisfy properly.

> [ ] All dependencies have compatible licenses.
> [ ] No compiled archives bundled in a source archive.

Legally optional:

> [ ] All tests pass.

If we are using the checklist as a way to test and measure the podling for
graduation then I would add the following checkboxes.

[ ] Initial PPMC member.
[ ] Added PPMC member.
[ ] Podling Mentor.
[ ] IPMC member.

If a podling cannot get the proper 3 +1 votes from the future PMC then the IPMC
should not recommend graduation to the Board.

Regards,
Dave