On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 11:42 PM, ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just fyi so I'm not accused of not saying anything - I'm not totally sure
> what the intention is for this and I'm all for doing some experiments and
> wouldn't get in the way if this is to be tried with a podling, however this
> looks like its becoming a fairly complex and arduous process to me.

That depends on whether or not we hold the line on what goes into the
checklist.

If the checklist consists solely of stuff that blocks the release -- stuff
that podlings and Mentors need to be doing *anyway* -- then the only added
overhead is some bookkeeping around voting.  I don't think that's unreasonable
at all, especially since participating in the extra ceremony serves a training
purpose for PPMC members.

On the other hand, if the checklist gets larded up with stuff that has no
direct connection to the release[1], then I would agree we are layering extra
tasks on top of the release process and making it needlessly "arduous and
complex".

With regards to the purpose of this thread, it is primarily to explore how we
would implement Bertrand's proposal.  Eventually, I plan to codify that
proposal as a diff against our policy page.  I expect that the policy change
proposal diff will not contain the full checklist, but will make abstract
reference to a checklist hosted elsewhere on the Incubator website -- allowing
for modifications to the checklist and release process by lazy consensus
rather than majority-rule policy vote.  Under this scheme, the checklist only
needs to be workable, not perfect, in order to proceed to PROPOSAL and VOTE.

Marvin Humphrey

[1] Does a community which is not "healthy" block the release?  How do you fix
    that in a timely manner so you can get your release out?