Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> ant elder wrote:
> >
> > All the stuff required to be checked when voting on a release should be
> > documented in the ASF doc about releases. That its not in that doc suggests
> > its not required. If someone thinks something is required then they should
> > go get consensus around that with the wider ASF and get the ASF doc updated.

There was a time not long ago, where hardly anything
was documented. Rather it was just common-sense.
So in my opinion, not being in those docs does not mean
that it is not required.

(Not sure where to insert some other comments in this thread,
so will just dump them here.)

I am concerned about potentially changing the way we do things.
So, two comments with that in mind:

Votes should also encourage "anyone" to vote (though of course
as non-binding). With this SVN based technique, how do they do that?
The current new "guides/release.html" says "contains a link URL
for the Manifest". I suppose that they could be encouraged to
copy the text from SVN and reply via the dev mail list.

If the dev list PPMC vote passes including 3+ IPMC members
then there is no need for this "second vote".
The wording gives a slight twist which might sway the
understanding of why we do such things.

Also some good stuff is in the old "guides/releasemanagement.html"
so we do need to ensure that is over at "a.o/dev/".

-David