On Dec 10, 2013, at 6:15 PM, P. Taylor Goetz <ptgo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the process of preparing the LICENSE and NOTICE files for Storm, I started
> looking at what other Apache projects (both incubator and TLPs) have done.
>
> It seems like approaches are all over the map. I've even seen projects that
> don't have a NOTICE.
>
> My question to any mentors and PMC members is are there any projects that
> stand out as having done a really good job at this? (I understand that every
> circumstance is different.)

I would not call these role models or any where near, but for Apache Airavata,
we spent months during incubation to get the L&N files right (thanks to our
patient mentors). If useful here are the pointers:

Source L&N files (essentially there are no third party sources bundled, hence
ALV2 only):
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/airavata/trunk/LICENSE
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/airavata/trunk/NOTICE

The binary distribution bundles a whole bunch of dependencies and we had to
manually traverse through every bundled jar:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/airavata/trunk/modules/distribution/airavata-server/src/main/resources/LICENSE
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/airavata/trunk/modules/distribution/airavata-server/src/main/resources/NOTICE

Note: In recent past there have been more clarifications on NOTICE file needing
to be even more minimalistic, we did not yet adhere to these policies yet. So
recently released incubator projects might have better examples.

Suresh