On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 9:08 AM, Michael Joyce <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> How is doing a review on Github any different than doing a review on Review
> Board?

One is captured to Apache controlled channels and the other is not.

> If there's concern that work on Github isn't being adequately mirrored on
> the mailing lists then that sounds like an Infra problem to me.

It's not an Infra problem.  It's the problem of any PMC which fails to ensure
that all of its communications are properly archived.

If anyone here is interested in contributing towards this feature, I encourage
you to subscribe to the infrastructure-dev@apache list.  I also encourage
everyone to ponder carefully:

*   How to ensure that no information is lost when capturing communications
    in GitHub channels through notifications to our dev lists.
*   The impact of adding GitHub integration features on long-term ASF Infra
    labor costs.

> There are plenty of hooks [1] that makes this easy to do and, if I'm not
> mistaken, pull requests through Github are already supposed to mail dev@.

That's right.  I've actually worked on the specific hook that does that[1][2].

> I would assume that any comment on them should as well.

Why would you "assume" that GitHub comments are being mailed to dev lists?
They are not.

Every Apache PMC member is tasked with oversight of their project, and that
includes ensuring that all decisions happen on the dev list and are properly
documented.  It is not enough to "assume" that Infra is taking care of
archival -- ensuring that the archival actually happens is the PMC's direct
responsibility.

Marvin Humphrey

[2] Thread on legal-discuss@apache: http://s.apache.org/Nhx