On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Andy Konwinski <andykonwin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When a mature open source project enters the incubator, it has to move
> mailing lists from its existing solution (which for Spark was Google
> Groups) to the apache incubator lists. This was a painful move for Spark
> since many devs found the Google groups mailing list interface easier to
> use, but I understand that as Apache, we value having all of our projects'
> bits live on our own Apache infra.

Its that plus the requirement that we have a guaranteed archives
of our public conversations.

> However, as Apache, we don't ask the project to move mailing lists only
> once, we ask them to move twice: once when entering the incubator and once
> at graduation. Though the second move is easier, it is still painful in our
> case since (unless I'm missing something) you can't migrate a nabble
> mailing list from the @incubator.apache.org to @apache.org and so now the
> history of our projects email archives will be spread out over three
> different locations.
>
> Maybe other incubator projects haven't found the 2nd move to be very
> painful and maybe search engines make this not a very big deal.

Personally, I don't see it as a big deal, but you're raising a vaild
point.

That said, there's a very basic value in clearly delineating incubating
projects from TLP ones. This applies not all publicly visible bits
of identification: web sites, version IDs, ML addresses, etc.

I believe that keeping the 'incubator' moniker part of everything that
a user may see helps to avoid confusion with a much bigger community:
a community of ASF observers. As such, it feels like a reasonable
price to pay.

Just my 2c.

Thanks,
Roman.