Hi Brett,

thanks for the detailed update and the refs to the earlier discussion - it
helps! I understand that the project has reached a certain point where most of
the functionality is in place and current users are pretty happy with it.
Except for the cases where they step on some issues. In which case, as you
pointed out, they are usually capable to submit a patch for it.

[fat fingers - continue...]

I can think of a few potentially helpful steps forward (in no particular order)
    - a software that isn't released for a prolonged period of time, might be
      perceived as abandoned or dormant, especially if a user/dev list isn't
      very fast in responses
    - review patches quickly - don't make people wait too long for a reply
    - I think a community release shouldn't be expected to be an equivalent to
      that of what a GA release might be. If the community thinks that it
      is worthy of fixating a certain logical point of the life-cycle - it's
      enough to make a release. The next one can be rolled-out shortly
      thereafter and deliver a bit of improvement since the last. Rinse and
      repeat
    - having regular releases, especially for a software that addresses
      people's real pain-points, tends to attract more users. And some of them
      will be contributing in one form or another. Hence creating a pool for
      your future committers and growth of the community
    - frequent releases is a reassurance for ther users that their issues will
      be quickly addressed on a predictable schedule
    - a release process shouldn't be especially painful: all it takes is a
      tag on a master branch that can serve as a foundation for a checksummed,
      and signed source code archive
    - if you see particular issues that INFRA can help with and tickets are
      staying open for too long - try to joing #infra IRC channel and talk
      directly to the guys there. THey are busy but usually are very helpful!

And a couple of "marketing" points:
    - good "how to contribute" is always a challenge. But it doesn't have to
      be done overnight - a series of steady improvements will get your there
      soon enough
    - a clean webpage with easy navigation is helpful
    - a hackathon or a meetup might be a great way to get people together and
      brainstorm things. Include remote people over some sort of video
      conferencing, e.g. Hangout: I've seen it done in other projects and it
      works great
    - convert most active contributors to the committers. The entry level
      barrier doesn't have to be incredibly high - just set it to what feels
      right from the complexity and learning curve points
    - consider giving a talk in the tech meetup that seems to be appropriate
      for you - it might help to recruit more users
    - tweet about the project and communicate the cool points about it. I see
      it has been done back in 2011 and before that.

Please let me know how I can help you with any of the chores. We all have day
jobs but I'd be happy to spend some cycles and help a bit if I can. Feel free
to reach out to the general@incubator.apache.org - it's a great group of
people, joining together to advance open-source projects.

Looking forward to hear from you guys soon with the great news about next
steps in the community! Or questions! Or help requests! Or else ;)

Have a great weekend! Regards,
  Cos