Hi.

I have had a look at your release and it looks good, I could not find any
formal errors.

But I took a closer look at the release vote thread, because a failing unit
test is a serious bad quality signal for me.

Whenever I test new software, I download it, build it, then run all  test
cases to secure I got it build correctly, where I assume I have made
something wrong if a test case fails.

Apache is known for quality software and I think we all want to keep that
image. I am sure the project does not take quality lightly, but the
attitude "can be fixed later" especially with unit tests is to me not a
good policy.

If the software only runs with 1.7 and not higher, then why not make a
simple startup version check, then there would be no problem (of course its
even better to solve the problem). I just wonder how this error will affect
people using the project.

It seems (from the vote thread) you already have solved the problem, but
dont want to wait for a respin, can you please at least explain why the
project is under such a time constraint, that 72 hours is too long to wait
to make good quality.

I wanted to give the release a -1 but decided to give

-0 binding.

in the hope the PMC will go for quality and voluntary respin the release.

rgds
jan i