On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 2:46 PM, jan i <j...@apache.org> wrote:

> > 4.) And lastly, as Julian mentioned on the thread that the set of fixes
> > might not be complete yet,
> > I think we need more time before we can merge these changes in to a
> release
> > with confidence to
> > support a new platform.
> >

> I agree with this, but it still does not explain why the software not
> simply deny runing with java1.7+. To me it seems a simple "if" during load
> could solve the problem, and is in general something a software should do
> with all dependencies especially when newer versions dont work (most of us
> expect newer versions to be backward compatible).

That is a plausible action.  That would not have changed the fact of the
failure under 1.8, it would merely have changed the error message.

Until this issue was encountered, however, it was the assumption that the
code would run on java8, but it was not considered important enough to
specifically test since, as Aditya mentioned, java8 has essentially no
production presence so far.  As such, testing for java8 and refusing to
start would simply guaranteeing failure as opposed to being open to success.