Really awesome to see this getting off the ground!  Thanks, Roman!

Re: the name.  I don't feel super-strongly about this, but I prefer
the name "HTrace."  It's short and sweet, and very easy to Google for.
"Distress" is not going to be easy to Google for, and might tend to
turn up the wrong kinds of results.  I think this is pretty important
for a new project trying to get mindshare.

I think if anything, having Hadoop associated with the project should
help it to grow, since people know that it's being used by a real (and
really big) distributed systems project rather than just being an
experiment.  Of course, we should make it absolutely clear in the
documentation, project site, mailing list, etc. that there are no
dependencies on Hadoop jars and that any Java project (and maybe
later, non-Java projects) can use this.

best,
Colin