There are a few things that I would suggest for "next steps":

1) Draft a template resolution. Starting in the wiki is fine, but you'll
want to involve board@ when you have your first draft done. This will also
start the discussion among the Directors (recall: the Board hasn't even
agreed to try this!), and may produce some refinements.

2) Create a ComDev page discussing what it means to be a "provisional TLP".
The disclaimers/warnings/release-naming should likely mirror what we do for
incubating podlings.

3) Note that I use "provisional", since "probationary" implies you got in
trouble.

I wouldn't really worry about time frames. This will be a very subjective
process, and every project is different. It will be hard to make a solid
determination on day X in the future. If I were to put my thumb in the air,
I'd say 6 and 12 months, rather than your 3/6.

Cheers,
-g