On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 2:16 AM, Dmitriy Setrakyan
<dsetrak...@apache.org> wrote:

>> > The new 1.0 release with corrected headers will be
>> > submitted for PPMC vote on Monday.
>>
>> Hmm, I'm confused.  This is 1.0-RC3.  I would ordinarily expect that
>> to become 1.0 once the release vote succeeds.  While Apache isn't
>> going to force a particular versioning scheme on you, I don't think
>> you can put out two releases with the same version number.  That would
>> result in identically named artifacts with different content and
>> security mechanisms going berzerk as a consequence.
>
> This was intended to be a public RC3 release. If it was to pass the vote,
> then the official release would also have 1.0-RC3 version.
>
> We wanted to have community to play with the RC3 release for a bit until we
> release the final 1.0 release in a week or two.

Because "release candidate" and "RC" are specialized terms with
precise meaning at Apache and because we make a strong legal
distinction between "released" and "unreleased" code, this is
extremely confusing.  Having something named "RC" which is also an
official Apache release is... gah, it makes my brain hurt.

Please consider adopting different terminology in the future --
"alpha", "beta", "golden master candidate / GM candidate", etc.

Marvin Humphrey