Hi,

> I'm curious about the problems you had with the install. As far as I know,
> the build doesn't depend on PHP. Maybe this is something I had installed by
> default, but could you tell us what error you ran into?

It with installing and compiling thrift rather than parquet.

First I got:

/Users/justinmclean/Downloads/ApacheParquet/apache-parquet-mr-1.6.0-incubating/thrift-0.7.0/install-sh:
 Permission denied

Easily fixed via a chmod +x, then I got:

/Users/justinmclean/Downloads/ApacheParquet/apache-parquet-mr-1.6.0-incubating/thrift-0.7.0/lib/php/src/ext/thrift_protocol/php_thrift_protocol.cpp:95:8:
 error:
      unknown type name 'function_entry'
static function_entry thrift_protocol_functions[] = {

The error is related to the PHP version as far as I can tell. I tried
installing the latest PHP version but had trouble pointing the build script at
it and at that point I gave up.

Thanks,
Justin