On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 8:51 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) <
ross.gard...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> It's a tough one. We could be setting a precedence here that we absolutely
> do not want to set. On the other hand, it's problematic (not to mention
> simply ridiculous) if the foundation not being able to use Apache software
> because we don't pay for development and might want to submit a patch
> upstream.
>
> As long as all committers are equal and earn their merit in the
> traditional way I don't see a problem from the projects side. IN this
> instance the ASF is just another contributor to the project.
>
> This means "the foundation never pays for development" to something like
> "the foundation never pays for development except where the modification is
> made as part of our normal infrastructure operations. On these rare
> occasions the foundation is just another employer and the contributor is
> just another community member. Changes are contributed upstream through the
> normal contribution process. There is no special role for ASF infra
> contractors."

The ASF pays for Infra contractors. Their job/role is to maintain our
systems. Sometimes their duty *may* be to contribute software to $Project
(wherever that may be).

That is *very* distinct from paying a person to contribute directly to
$ASFProject.

Cheers,
-g