On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
> Ted can you give some concrete examples, because I see some good feedback
> along with folks attempting to address the feedback. Processes updated or
> re-iterated, etc... I haven't seen any comments like "stop the presses
> till... is addressed" and that being ignored. More along the lines of an
> issue being raised and the community immediately working to address it. For
> example most recently giving more time to construct the board report.
>
> Failing to cc general@ on the vote is a serious issue. That's part of the
> release process though, it's documented and been followed in previous
> releases. Human error this time around afaict (along with the mentors,
> myself included, who didn't notice it till later)
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SENTRY/How+to+Release
>
>> They seem oblivious to process issues
>
> Are there specific process issues that are missing and should hold up a
> vote? I see alot of process related details on their wiki
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SENTRY/Home
>
> Patrick

Patrick,

I agree with most of what you wrote. In many ways I'm worried that
this is a failure on the part of mentors. Very early, this morning in
Tokyo, it dawned on me that perhaps the mentors (esp. me) are part of
the problem. This isn't the first time that issues have been called
out with Sentry - and there does seem to be willingness to address
issues on the part of the project. 'We keep saying $n is problematic'
- and I worry (and am certainly guilty in my case) of assuming
everyone largely 'gets it'. I've also not shown them specific concrete
examples of some types of non-problematic behavior. By the time most
folks become a member, or join the IPMC, the Apache way of doing
things is second nature, and we don't always realize that it may be
completely foreign to folks who haven't been doing it for as long.

I've just sent a long email to dev@ to hopefully make this clearer,
call out some examples, and hopefully generate a discussion on how we
move forward.

--David