On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 10:12 PM, Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> wrote:
> I am the person who usually writes the incubator report, and I have been on
> vacation for the last 7 days. So, it looks as if Calcite has missed the
> deadline for this month. My apologies to the IPMC and to our shepherd P.
> Taylor Goetz.
>
> If it would be acceptable to file a report early tomorrow (Sun 5th) I can do
> that; please let me know. Otherwise I presume that Calcite will be reporting
> in August, and I will make sure that the report is filed on time.

Perhaps this is an opportunity to get someone else from the Calcite
community involved in reporting.  It shouldn't be the case that
everyone relies on one person to handle the report and if they don't
do it it doesn't get done.

Missing one month is not a big deal, either in the Incubator or as a
TLP, so long as one month doesn't become two and then three and so on
-- we just note that the report wasn't received and mark it as
expected next month.

In contrast, filing at the last minute compresses the schedule and
tightens the requirements on other people involved: Mentors (and for
TLPs, Board Members) who are expected to review the report, and
especially the Incubator volunteer or Board member who is assigned as
shepherd and who is expected to perform a more thorough review.

Different people will tell you different things as to whether you
should file at the last minute or wait. In my view, the most courteous
approach is to acknowledge the late report pro-actively and announce
the intent to file next month, pre-empting any inquiry as to why the
report was missed. But some other people consider that too rigid and
will encourage filing at the last minute.

Ultimately, the only hard and fast rule is that if you file late
enough, you may not get the necessary signoffs: at least one Mentor
for a podling's report, and at least 5 Directors (I think) for a TLP
report.

Marvin Humphrey