On 23.07.2015 18:26, Ted Dunning wrote:

>> that
>>> I am not sure about this one: why there's a concern that people behind
>> commits
>>> aren't the same ppl as making the fixes? Am I reading this right?
>> I think there are a couple things to consider here:
>>
>>  1. Off-list discussions, and commits made based on such discussions:
>>     There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The resultant code is
>>     public and can be reviewed. If the reasons behind a change are not
>>     clear, well, it's up to the devs to document the code and/or explain
>>     on the dev@ list; but forbidding off-list discussions implies
>>     forbidding hackathons and ApacheCons, for example.
>
> My question was more to do with losing historical detail by squashing
> commits.  Squashing commits has the tendency to hide contributions as
> well.  I think we have a good answer for that.

I'd rather not state my opinion about squashing commits here; it's not
printable.

> As far as off-list discussions are concerned, this is still a very big
> issue for me.  Off-list discussions and design work is not forbidden, but
> it must be reflected back to the mailing list.

I agree in principle but have to object to the "must": it's "should".

Obviously it's good practice to post the outcome of offline chats to the
dev@ list for further discussion. On the other hand, I've not seen any
major feature appear in the Ignite code base without dev@ list discussion.

> With Ignite, I worry that such discussions are happening (they must be, by
> geography and time zone alone) but are not being reflected back to the
> mailing list or to the JIRA.  It is not even clear when a bug is closed
> whether there was a code fix or not.

I've put my thoughts on Jira usage into another post.

-- Brane