I do not agree with this interpretation when viewed from a legal angle (though
I do agree from a trademark angle). I have a feeling that the root of my
disagreement is the same as the root of Jim's earlier statement (though I may
be mistaken).

There are two points of IP due diligence in an Apache project: At the point of
contribution where the IP is validated by the committer and zero or more people
who review the patch. The second phase of IP validation is at the point of
release, where 3 our more PMC members validate that the foundation can legally
release the code.

This means that taking a snapshot and building a release is *not*
trademark-acceptable since the foundation, through the project PMC has not
approved the release, therefore it is not an Apache release.

Only the ASF gets to say what is an ASF release and to do so requires a vote of
the PMC. It has nothing to do with the number of changes made to what is in our
repositories. It has everything to do with whether it's a release of the
foundation.

So, in the strictest sense, distributions that make minor changes for their
distribution should call it Bar powered by Apache Foo in order to differentiate
it from an official release of the foundation. In the real world the question
is, from a legal point of view, do we care?

(lets ignore the fact that some people vote on releases without doing proper
validation, that's why we require 3 +1 votes, the assumption is that at least
one of them did the job properly)

Sent from my Windows Phone