On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 2:18 PM, Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> Fellow mentors,
>
> There was a conversation at ApacheCon about the Incubator. I'll leave it to
> the other participants to champion the particular parts that they are
> passionate about, but I was particularly concerned with mentor
> disengagement, and suggestions for improving it.
>
> A mentor's role is to help a project learn the ropes at the ASF, and that
> mentor might not necessarily be deeply versed in the particular technology
> that the podling works with. As such, it can frequently be the case that the
> mentor becomes disengaged from the daily conversation of the lists, and
> eventually with the entire process.

I think mentors have two responsibilities. You've mentioned the biggest one,
but there's also a complementary one: the responsibility of bringing
the insight into how the project is doing back to the IPMC.

> As a means of refocusing the mentors' efforts, and keeping them engaged, I'd
> like to encourage each mentor (or group of mentors) to consider writing a
> running report (ie, evolving, updated every quarter) based on
> https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html
> where they evaluate each point on the maturity model, as a path towards
> graduation. This gives a concrete target, and a lens through which to view
> the podling's progress towards that target.

+1 this will definitely help with both responsibilities.

But, I've got to wonder: as long as it is just a suggestion what's to compel
a mentor to actually spend quite a bit of time on doing that?

Thanks,
Roman.