The dependencies can be split into two kinds: ones required for building new
models, and ones needed by the decoder to translate new sentences with a
pre-built model (i.e., black-box translation with the language packs).

1. For building new models, you need a way to align the words between sentences
in parallel text. Both the aligners used by Joshua (GIZA++ and the Berkeley
aligner) are GPL of some form. These can be implemented as external
dependencies, or can be replaced with another aligner, like fast_align
(https://github.com/clab/fast_align), which is Apache-licensed. There are many
other options, in fact. So this should not be a worry.

2. For doing black-box translation, one needs to represent the language model,
which is very large. The best tool for this is KenLM (github.com/kpu/kenlm),
which is LGPL 2.1. There is also BerkeleyLM, which is just as good for
practical purposes and is Apache-licensed. KenLM is C++ and is loaded via the
JNI, whereas BerkeleyLM is written in Java. I have moved to including
BerkeleyLM in language packs, because I can then include the Joshua-runtime,
and people can translate without even having to compile anything.

So in short, there are no hard dependencies on unfavorably-licensed external
projects.

matt