On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Julian Hyde <jhyde.apa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you want to simplify policy, get rid of the champion.
>> Or rather, reduce the champion’s role to nominating a project for incubation.
>> Once the project has entered incubation, the champion’s role ends.
>
> +1000 to the above. With all of my experience getting projects through the
> incubation I couldn't find a single instance where a Champion role would
> prove to be really valuable ON TOP of active mentor(s).

+1, I would be in favor of this.

Let's make sure that we consider Julian's proposal separately from John's.

The expansion of Champion role dates from 2011-2012, and I think it's fair to
characterize the initiative as an attempt to deal with Mentor attrition:

    https://s.apache.org/XcKn

    Yes, that's the idea - basically make sure the Champion makes sure the
    podling is reporting consistently and its mentors are present.

Thanks largely to Roman's efforts to get Mentor signoff happening
consistently, we've addressed Mentor attrition a different way.

1.  Mentors must sign off on podling reports, or the podling report is
    removed from the monthly Board report.
2.  The Report Manager tracks missing podling reports.
3.  When a podling has not reported for 2 months in a row, the Mentors are
    contacted via private@incubator.
4.  If no Mentors are available to resolve the issue, then the issue is
    escalated to a public search for new Mentors.

Back when expanding the Champion role was considered, there was stiff
resistance to Mentor signoff, so our current approach was not feasible.
However, it seems to me that the expanded Champion role is now obsolete and
that therefore Julian's proposal is sound.

Here is a patch:

    https://paste.apache.org/Ersh

If no one formally lodges a -1, I will claim lazy consensus and apply this
patch no sooner than a week from now, after discussion has died down.

Marvin Humphrey