I would be happy if Taverna doesn't meet the ECCN registration criteria :)

I think we are not exempt overall from the 2010 decontrolling:

https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/encryption/identifying-encryption-items#Three

because we do a lot of "sending and receiving information" - or at
least most Taverna workflows do that.

I would think our Credential Manager is  "designed to use encryption
functionality" - We register handlers with JSSE, in particular to
manage user-accepted client/server certificates (as in the browser).
We don't require JCE Strong Encryption, but recommend you do  (as
otherwise your passphrase is limited to 6 characters!) - we also use
Bouncy Castle (ECCN classified) APIs directly for managing the
keychain.

https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-engine/#export-restrictions

Our web service integration use WSS4J and XML Security (also ECCN
classified), and of course the REST service can make https connections
using the above certificate handling.

https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-common-activities/#export-restrictions

While the immediate release won't include a binary distribution for
dist.apache.org, we plan that for later releases, and they would
include JARs like Bouncy Castle, HTTPComponent and WSS4J - so while it
could be unclear right now what "use" means - there will be "include"
later.

Likewise some of our Maven Central JARs could include shading of say
Apache HTTPComponents, which is EECN-classified.

On 5 May 2016 at 18:48, John D. Ament <john.d.am...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ted,
>
> I think that's my point.  It sounds like taverna doesn't meet the criteria.
>
> John
> On May 5, 2016 13:07, "Ted Dunning" <ted.dunn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> John,
>>
>> I love what you do and respect what you say, but do you have a citation for
>> that registration requirement?  Taverna isn't distributing JSSE and it
>> allows weak encryption.
>>

>> On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 7:36 PM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > That's the thing, JSSE is an add-on encryption component in Java.  If the
>> > product requires it, you have to register it.
>> >
>> > Ideally the product shouldn't require it and make it an optional feature
>> > enable.
>> >
>> > The latter is just my $0.02
>> >
>> > John
>> > On May 4, 2016 21:30, "Ted Dunning" <ted.dunn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I am pretty dubious that simply building a credential store using
>> standard
>> > JSSE requires registration. Same for HTTPS support.

>> is

Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718