On 5/20/16, 8:57 AM, "Edward Capriolo" <edlinuxg...@gmail.com> wrote:

>" You could argue that it makes the dependency optional"
>Yes that is what I am saying. Like in a JDBC application you may be
>connecting to postgres or mysql you are not concerned how those are
>licensed because you are linked to the shim/driver. You could even bring
>in
>the Microsoft SQL server as a jar in this case.

Right.  Then, AIUI,  the test is about "will" not "could".  What "will"
the majority of your customer do?  If reality is that they will bring down
the LGPL implementation you have not truly passed the "optional" test.
The uber goal is to get away from having customers of Apache products
worry about LGPL and other unfriendly licenses ending up on their system.

-Alex